Sunday, July 13, 2014

Create a Shadow using the Offset Feature (tutorial)


Before I get to today's project I want to thank you all so much for the many nice comments on my blog yesterday and on Facebook about how much you enjoyed my little tutorial of how to use the Print 'n Cut feature on the Cameo. I had no idea it would get such a grand response.  Therefore, today, I have another little tutorial for you on how to create a shadow for any object in the Cameo software.  If there is something else you'd like more information on or a small tutorial (and I know how to do it), just ask, and I'll see what I can do. Again, thank you so much. The comments made my day. I'm glad I was able to help so many you.

Ready to see my project?
Lots of pictures coming up showing step by step 
in the Silhouette Software of how I created
my own shadow for an image.
I'm no expert.
I only use a small percentage of what this
powerful program can do.
You may know an easier, better way to create
a shadow, but this is how I did it for this project.

First, here is my finished card.



Now......... all the fun steps to create the shadow......


Select an image to use.

I like to also drag and drop a photo of the image completed so I have a guide.





I colored all the parts with the eye dropper color match.
Then I "assembled" the parts layering them
just like I would after cutting my papers.
I copy and pasted my image before the next step!





Then I welded them and this created a solid outline of the exact finished image.
I use this when adhering my pieces together as a guide.






Click on the OFFSET button.
Select item to offset.
Click on offset.




Adjust distance to your preference.
Choose corner or rounded.
Click apply.





Take apart the layered pieces and lay them out on your mat for cutting.






Cut and assemble your pieces.





Layer on your shadow.







Add item to your project.



Voila!
'Tis complete.


  • Silhouette ID# 57089 (Alice in Wonderland)
  • Bazzil solid papers
  • My Mind's Eye "The Sweetest Thing" pattern papers
  • Craftin Desert Divas "Be Inspired" for sentiment
  • foam squares to adhere Alice for dimension (Royal Castle Shoppe)
  • Timeless Twine "Autumn Splendor"

Thanks for stopping by today!
See you again tomorrow.
:) Janis

Submitted:
Cute Card Thursday - pretty papers
Sister Act - anything goes
Inkspirational - photo inspiration (see below) (I chose to use the colors blue & yellow from the photo on this one)



11 comments:

  1. What a sweet card! Very informative tutorial. Wish I had a silhouette. :-). Thanks for playing along with us at Inkspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your card is very cute Janis and thanks for doing this tutorial helps so very much, I still would love to learn so much more with my cameo
    Hugs
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your card is lovely and tutorials are always helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your card, Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe I haven't thought to do this before! The shadow makes your image really pop off the page. Thanks for the idea and the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial and the colors truly are inspired from the painting. Thank you for sharing with us at Inkspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tut and lovey image. Thanks for playing along with us at CCT.x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely image and amazing tutorial. Jacqui DT Sister Act

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful girl and the message is profound!! We do indeed need to remember to JUST BE YOU!!
    Thank you for reminding me with this cute and clever card!!

    ReplyDelete