Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Holiday Cake



I made Nannie's Lemon Sour Cream Pound cake yesterday.  Yummmm  Nannie was my Mama's Mama.

Nannie made this every Thanksgiving and Christmas.  It was always so good!

Here's the recipe:

3 cups sugar
2 sticks butter (room temperature)
6 eggs (room temperature)
3 tsp lemon extract
1 cup sour cream
3 cups flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder

1 - Cream together butter and sugar
2 - Add eggs one at a time, beating each time
3 - Add all other ingredients
4 - Pour into a greased and floured bunt pan
5 - Bake at 300 for 1 hour and then check every 5-10 minutes until done

Be careful of overflow.  I usually put something on the rack below to catch any batter than wants to overflow to save me from having a mess in my oven to clean up later.

Yesterday I made this but used 3, 9" round cake pans instead.  I've never made it with these pans before, but I gave my bundt pan to one of my girls and couldn't find one to buy at Walmart over the weekend.  My  hubby suggested using the round pans.

This was okay, but I like the bundt pan better.  Why?  Because I like to take the cake out when it's barely done.  This leaves a "mushy" area inside the cake that will stay moist.  With the round cake pans, I had 3 layers of "crust" from the tops.  It doesn't change the taste, just the texture.

For the icing, Nannie used to use powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and milk.  She just winged it "until it looks right".  Then she would pour the glaze over the cake which made pretty dripping designs down the sides.

I found a recipe on line that makes the same sort of icing, but makes it thicker and not like a glaze.  Here's that recipe:

2 lb. powdered sugar
1 cup butter (room temperature)
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon extract

Blend it all together. Just note that this will make too much, so you'll have to decide what to do with the left overs.  I'd reduce it to make less, but I'm not that talented.  :)

Have a glorious day!

Janis

1 comment:

  1. Sounds so yummy! And how great to have a family recipe passed down the generations! I just love that photo of your Nannie - what a looker she was!
    That was super sweet of DH's work, and of you to send a handmade card!
    TTYS!

    ReplyDelete